Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Yummy End to a Lazy Day

Yesterday was one of those lazy Christmas Break sort of days...woke up a few hours before the kids...
finished my book and a few cups of coffee in peace...
played Legos with the kids for a few hours, stayed in my jammies till noon...
when I finally gave myself a time-out and shower...

reluctantly I put dinner in the crock pot around 1...
had a recipe idea in my head and have been wanting to try it out...

Then took the family to run some errands around 2:30...
got stuck in Barnes-n-Noble looking at their clearance items
and then in Target looking for some amazing post Christmas stuff (nothing I couldn't live without...bummer)...

Now I have two cranky kids and a hungry husband
(I had one more stop on my list and they over-ruled me)...
walked in the door at 5:30 and was blissfully happy that I had dinner almost done!

This is a recipe idea that I got from a friend, Jennifer Shawnego Lorenzen, from a post she made on facebook...not entirely sure what sort of pesto she used, but this is the recipe I ended up with...thanks Jen.

Creamy Pesto Chicken (in the crock pot)
1-4 chicken breast (how ever many you think your family needs, I just used one REALLY big one)
1 tea Lemon Herb Seasoning or Lemon Salt or Lemon Pepper  (I used Pampered Chef's Citrus & Basil Rub)
1 package Knorr Creamy Pesto sauce mix (get in the same aisle as the dry taco mix and gravy mixes)
1 1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs olive oil
slices of Swiss Cheese (enough to cover each chicken breast)
zest of one lemon (optional)
pasta or rice of your choice to serve it on/with

1.  Place chicken breast into crock pot and season with Lemon Herb seasoning.
2.  Mix Knorr Creamy Pesto sauce mix with milk and olive oil and pour over chicken.  Cover chicken breast with Swiss Cheese and lemon zest (optional).  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
3.  Serve with cooked pasta or rice of you choice.  I removed the Chicken breast and sliced it up, poured the pesto sauce over cooked pasta on a serving plate and topped it with the sliced chicken breast.  To really impress guest you can top with more lemon zest and a piece of fresh basil.

Serving ideas:
Fresh or Frozen veggies
Sweet Potatoes (my family won't eat!)
French Bread
Spinach Salad

~~~~~~~~~
My family devoured this meal...and have asked for me to place it on the menu on a rotating basis!

No comments: