Wednesday, January 27, 2010

That's Some Garlic!

Tuesday nights we are currently hosting a Bible/Book study at our house and one of the couples that comes has been coming early and having dinner with us...we were having dinner with them about once a week before we started the Bible study so why not continue...
Anyways...yesterday I knew I was going to be running around all day with appointments and meetings and school drop off's and pick up's and piano lessons...etc...
so I turned to my trusty side-kick "Crocky"...
my crock pot...
and made a family favorite (given to me by my good friend Rayna)...
40 Garlic Chicken...
okay, that sounds like a little much right...
40 cloves of garlic?  Really...  The chicken does have a garlic taste, but it's not overwhelming AT all it's more the smell then the anything and your house might end up smelling like a vampire graveyard...but well worth it!

40 Garlic Chicken
1 (4-lb) whole chicken
2 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/2 tsp. black pepper
40 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
2 springs of fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh sage & Italian parsley
Place 1 sprig thyme, rosemary, sage & parsley in chicken cavity. Place chicken in crock pot on top of celery and add the garlic around chicken. chop remaining herbs, sprinkle herbs and pepper over chicken. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and on high 3 1/2 to 5 hours.
Squeeze the roasted garlic out of skin and use on French bread...ENJOY!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So this is how the recipe was given to me...but I have yet to have all the fresh herbs when I make it, so I use the ones that I have and then toss in some dried ones as well...

This chicken is so good and not overwhelmingly garlicky like you might think...I promise

and what to do with all that garlic when the chicken is done???
take a few (or 20) garlic cloves out, press with with a fork in a bowl and spread it on a loaf of french bread...and then sprinkle with cheese...yummy...

Serving options...
*Garlic Bread (of course!)
*Garlic Rice: sauted 1 cup of rice in 2 Tbs of butter until rice is white add 2 cups of the chicken broth from the crock pot and 1/2 tsp of salt, simmer for 20 minutes (if you don't get enough broth from the crock pot just add enough water to make 2 cups!)...
*Smashed Potatoes using some of the chicken broth to flavor them
*Tortillni Salad-recipe coming soon...(it's what our company brought as the side dish...thanks Rayna!)
*Steamed Veggies

No comments: