Monday, January 11, 2010

You Can Do That in the Crock Pot?

Back in October I decided to challenge myself to see how many meals I could make in the crock pot and was interested in how it would effect our grocery budget and eating out.

I discovered a few things...
*I love my crock pot
*you can make lots of stuff that you would never think using the crock pot
*my grocery bill didn't really go down, but our eating out did, because I was making an effort to have a menu, shop off that menu and then if I made dinner at 9 am it was easier for our lifestyle then if I started dinner around 4...
*if a recipe is cooked on High for a certain length doesn't mean that you can turn the crock pot on low and double the cooking time...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...this recipe is one it DOES NOT work on!  Believe me I tried!

Cheese Shells and Kielbasa in the Crock Pot
2 (11 ounce) cans condensed Cheddar cheese soup
2 3/4 cups water
1 (16 ounce) package uncooked shell pasta
1/2 pound kielbasa, sliced into rounds
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
1.Stir the condensed soup and water together in a slow cooker until smooth. Add the shell pasta and kielbasa sausage. Set the slow cooker to High; cook 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
2.Once the pasta is tender, stir in the sour cream, Cheddar, and mozzarella until the cheeses melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with steamed broccoli and applesauce...

Is there any recipes that you would like to try in the crock pot?  Let me know...
and what is the weirdest thing you've ever made in the crock pot?

No comments: