Tuesday, March 23, 2010

being honest!

this is my honest week.

I'm in a book club.

yep, one of those fads started by Oprah a few years back...

a really good friend of mine wanted to start one up, asked me if I was interested (we were both 7 months pregnant) and then we asked a few more friends to join us...(another of those pregnant also!)...

I love my book club...
we read one book a month, alternating between a classic and a contemporary...(we loosely translate a classic as a book whose author is dead!), and trade off hosting the club at our different homes...

our book club has a rule...
...no judgement...
3 pregnant woman started in the club...we didn't want to feel guilty for not finishing a book when we'd been up all night with a baby!

our group has since morphed a few times...
currently NO pregnant ladies...
only 2 of us are from the original start up group...

I have not been up all night with a baby in a LONG time...
but I still hold tightly to the 'rule'...
don't judge me if I don't read the book...

okay February book was a classic
and the classic that we voted for was Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina...
OY!
lets just say I was not crying when I discovered that I couldn't make it to the February book club...
and then the ladies "talked" via email and decided that Anna was too much for one month and they needed to make it a two month book and canceled the February club...
moving Anna to March...
OY!
so then me and my favorite "no judgement rule"...
I thought,...
"I'll show them...I'll read the book in one month..."

YEAH right!
I'll just breeze through that Russian novel...
with pages and pages of farming stuff..
and political stuff...
and people making very poor choices...
and more farming and peasant stuff...
OY!

So yeah...off to book club I went tonight...
with my book not even half read (it's over 800 pages!)...
and here is a picture of my house earlier today...
with my half read book club book almost buried under a mountain of laundry...
so I can't blame the book not being read on all the laundry I was folding!

I love my book club...I went...we talked...
we discussed Anna...
we discussed Tolstoy...
we laughed...
we ate Russian desserts...
and I wasn't judged for not reading the entire book...and I didn't lie and tell them I would...
we all know that Anna is going back to the friend that lent her to me and I will NEVER finish it and will probably never pick up another Tolstoy...
although I've always wanted to read War and Peace...maybe I can find an abridged version...and a laundry fairy!

3 comments:

Renae Tolbert said...

You're just too cute!

Monica said...

I'm in a book club too. We read whatever the host picks that month. There are 8 of us. Anyway, we are only allowed to not read one book per year but there've been a few times when various ones of us don't finish...but not becuase they are THAT long. Yikes!

Linda said...

You already know I'm in a book club (we met this past Mon) and our book for April is 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. And we decided (for the first time ever!) to take 2 months to read it, so it will be our May book instead. However, we are still going to read a very small book for April, too.... 'The Butterfly House' by Preston (We have to have a reason to meet in April cause we meet at a restaurant and just couldn't give that up). We just finished 'Sarah's Key' and we all loved it. A very moving book I would highly recommend to any other book clubs who haven't read it!