Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No Tom-Foolery Here

I had planned to blog about all the mischief and Tom-Fooler that the Leprechauns brought to our house early this morn...
and was going to share with you some of our St. Patrick's Day family traditions...
and I was going to go blog public with my history geekness and share with you my LOVE for St. Patrick and why we celebrate him...
but I don't have lots of time to sit here today...busy busy...

so instead I'm going to tell you why my menu planning was a bust!

Beef Stroganoff on the menu for last night...the husband is sick so that goes out the window, replaced with Chicken Noodle soup...oh well...

and then...
well, when planning the menu on Monday I forgot that today was St. Patrick's day...
so rather than grilled chicken salad...menu was changed to
Potato Soup and Soda Bread...
(What NO Corned Beef and Cabbage?!?  tried that a few years ago and I was the only one eating dinner, so I've changed my St. Patrick's menu to the Potato Soup and Soda Bread...)...
I've posted the recipe to the soup before...potato soup...but here is the soda bread recipe...the kids LOVE this and I ALWAYS say, "why don't I make this more often?" and then I put away the recipe for another year!
Irish Soda Bread with raisins

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour or whole wheat or 1 cup of each...
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
butter
1.  Into a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and soda. Stir in raisins, then stir in the buttermilk, stirring just until mixture is blended. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 times.
2.  Shape into a 6-inch round; place on ungreased baking sheet. Cut a cross on the top of the loaf. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush hot soda bread loaf with butter; break apart or slice.
Serve warm.

...
hope your St. Patty's day was great...

2 comments:

The Smith Hotel said...

I will have to try that recipe!

Jody

Lee said...

I wouldn't have thought about potato soup, but I see a lot of people were making it tonight. We did Corned Beef in the crockpot. One kid just ate meat. One kid just ate the veggies. But that's pretty typical in our house. Lydia's my meat-eater and Noah loves his vegetables.