Friday, March 26, 2010

Why?...Why Not?

Okay, so a few years ago I knew a mom
(well I still know that mom...hey Lisa)
who dyed her hair fun and different colors and it was so CRAZY (but fun)...

When I made a comment one day about wishing I could be as brave as her...
she asked...
"Are you judging me because of my hair?"
"Do you think I'm crazy?"
"Do you think I'm not as good as a mom because of my crazy hair?"
"Do you think I can't love Jesus because my hair is a little different?"
...
wow...
and the answer to all of those were, "NO"

all I was thinking was, how much fun it was and I wanted fun hair too!

...
so what was stopping me?
Now I just had to process all of those questions for myself...
...
and then something else she said was that if someone was judging her differently because of her hair, if someone would have answered "yes" to any of those questions based solely on her hair, than that was the other persons problem and not her's because she likes to have fun, her kids like it (maybe it even makes her a better mom), and it helps her relate to others that she might not have been able to reach out to before because now she's different just like them...
....
so last year I asked another friend of mine who does hair (thanks Becca) if she could give me pink hair...
and then it took me a few months to actually do it, but last October I did...I went pink...


it was fun, I enjoyed the change and...
I don't think anyone judged me differently...and if they did..well, it didn't effect me...

we've touched up the pink about 3 more times since...
and I was getting bored...so I decided to get something more spring'ish...
so today...

today I went Teal! 




okay, so maybe it's NOT in-your-face teal...it's just a stripe on the top and a few highlights in the back...
so I'm not TOTALLY crazy...
 but it's probably more teal then you've had in your hair...it's more than I've ever had!

I'm slowly working myself up to an Easter Egg...just joking...
but I AM going to go rock-star crazy in July when we our VBS (Vacation Bible School) is 80's Christian Rock...

5 comments:

schlange said...

I understand your process. When I played roller derby for 2 years I felt judged by women in church a lot. It was a bummer, but it didn't stop me from kicking booty at derby!

Kristie Smith said...

I now have purple hair!! Becca got us both!!! Yeah Becca!!! Mine is a dark red brown with blonde highlights. But some of it is actually purple. Which is really funny since I was teasing Trent about getting purple hair and he didn't like the idea. But he does like the color!

Christina said...

I had purple hair for awhile and have done magenta many times (going back to that soon). Of course its much like yours, highlights and chunks. Singing on the worship team I would have a few of the "older crowd" give me the eye but for the most part it was just fun!

White Diana said...

Those colors would REALLY stand out in my hair!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I love doing all the fun colors in ur hair Kiera! U need a better pic of the color though it is a lot more vibrant then u can actually see. You are a wild women and the colors keep getting funner can't wait to do ur hair for VBS and Mine too. Was thinking the teal and pink peekaboos in mine :) u will do mine and I will do yours!