Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm a Little Bit Classic...

...and He's a Little Bit Vintage....
and when I say "vintage"...it's more like Retro and very much GUY retro...
I'm not sure that I've shared with you yet about my husbands records...and toys...and fascination with old, old, Japanese science fiction movies...(such a guy thing...and he's gotten my kids into them also!)

how do you pull off decorating a house with these two different styles...
I want classic clean lines with furniture that looks like it lived through a few centuries...
he wants movie posters with giant Japanese monsters....

but we both want a cozy, "I can relax in that room" feel...

oh...and up until recently he didn't understand that decorating took $...and if I not $...lots and lots of time and creativity...so we don't have the $ or the time...but I do a some creativity...and also blog land has helped inspire me some.

anyways...
"Operation Beautiful Living Room" was kicked off last week...and is almost finished...I wanted to give you a sneak peak at some of the different elements and then will wait for the larger reveal and how all the pieces all fit together...
but I'm really enjoying the classic meets vintage look... 

ugly vintage 70's dresser...that I started turning into our new entertainment center (FBM-Future Blog Material)...that I am now calling our "credenza" because I like how it sounds...
credenza...credenza...
everyone needs a piece of furniture that's fun to say...
(a few to choose from...credenza, banquette, ottoman....)

our very vintage chairs...that I actually LOVE...and they are surprisingly comfy!

the snazzy lamp I picked up at my friend Brenda's yardsale for $1...and the best part...the inside glows like a night light...yes this is very vintage...but I really really love this...stay tuned FBM to see how I turn this very 70's lamp into a classically modern lamp..

a corner of the carpet that I found 1/2 off at Kohls....
the side of the shoe box that I used for inspiration ...FBM...
what happens when sister is in charge of taking pictures of the new tv unveiling...


the flat screen...notice Beau's excitement and my deer in the headlights look....yeah...

stay tuned...lots of FBM....

2 comments:

The Smith Hotel said...

I am sure Beau could care less what the rest of the room looks like now that he has his new tv! Can't wait to see the finished room!

Jody

Kathy said...

Oh, happy day ! (...and you will love the TV, too. I love ours and didn't realize I would until later...Good luck getting the remote, however.)