Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Not Your Grandma's 3 Bean Salad

So I stumbled upon the classic 3 bean salad recipe this summer and it was so good and yummy that I've made it a ton and kept it in our fridge, such a nice cool side dish during the summer months...

only my kids ratted me out...
I don't just use 3 beans...
after about 2 weeks of calling it the "3 Bean Salad" the boy child said,
"Why do you call it 3 bean when it has 4 and sometimes 5 beans in it?"...

"umm, cuz...."  was my brilliant answer!

and then this past Sunday I needed to bring a side dish to the annual church summer bbq/baptism...
and since I forgot until like Saturday night about 10 pm and wasn't going to make a trip to the store after church on Sunday to get anything I had to throw together something with what I had on hand...

and just fyi, there are ALWAYS beans in my pantry...it drives my husband CRAZY that I buy beans every time I grocery shop whether I need them for something on the menu or not, and I never check to see if I need to replenish my supply, I just always have to buy beans...
black beans,
pinto beans,
kidney beans,
green beans,
white beans,
...I have a thing for beans!

so I knew I'd be able to throw together the "3 bean salad" as my side dish....
only guess what I get home from church on Sunday and start to assemble my salad...and I wanted to make a double batch...and I didn't have enough beans...I wanted 2 cans of each "flavor" and I was out...I had like 5 cans of black beans, but only 1 can of kidney, green, and white...so what else do I add to my 3 bean salad now that I've mixed up double the amount of dressing but only have 1/2 the amount of beans that I needed...

so here is my
Not Your Grandma's 3 Bean Salad recipe that I came up with...and we LOVE it...
2 cans of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of green beans
1 can of white kidney or wax or garbanzo or whatever bean you want...
....or a mixture of at least 5 cans of beans...
1 cup sweet pepper chopped*, optional
1/2 cup chopped red onion (optional)
3 cups broccoli slaw**
1/2 cup vinegar
4 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs oil
1/2 tea celery salt (optional)

1.  Drain and rinse all the beans and place in large bowl.  Toss in veggies and slaw.  Mix vinegar, sugar, oil and celery salt together in small bowl until sugar is dissolved (or shake in a dressing container)
2.  Coat beans with dressing and refrigerate...serve cold, this salad gets better the longer it marinates, and it lasts up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
I choose the color of pepper depending on the color of beans I've used, if I need more green in the salad I use green peppers, more yellows/oranges or more red...it's all about presentation!

*I've been getting bags of small sweet peppers, red, orange, yellow and green, this bag had no green... all summer, so yummy

**my husband just, like within the past 2 weeks, decided that he likes broccoli...so I am so excited to start adding it to more dishes...you can buy the broccoli slaw in the veggie section at your grocery store, that makes me so happy!

do you have a twist on a "classic" like this?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Love this! Thanks for posting it. And, glad to see I am not the only one who has a thing for beans. :)

Joni said...

You can make your own broccoli slaw. Take the ends of the broccoli that you normally don't eat and just throw away, peel it and cut it into very small strips and WAHLAH!