Friday, December 17, 2010

the teacher gifts

okay, so I'm WAY behind on this post...
and it's because
well....
I'm a flake and just finished their gifts today...
and by finished I mean...
stood in the shower and finally forced myself to brainstorm and figure out what in the world I was going to give them!

I have a few 'issues' with the teacher gift...
I want to give something that they will use...
I want to give something that is special
I don't have lots of $$$ to do this with
I also know from having friends and family members 'in the business' the last thing teachers want are another tree ornament or coffee mug or kitschy, clutter up my desk object...

also the 2 teachers (for boy child and girl child) are so totally different that I can't get them the same thing, unless I want it to scream, "I didn't think about this for a second, Merry Christmas!"

and well, okay, so I didn't think about it for the months leading up to Christmas, but I have been thinking about it hit and miss for about 2 weeks now...
and I didn't want to do baked goodies because one teacher is trying to lose weight and the other doesn't seem that interested in food...

so here are my gifts...
teacher 1...
the boy child's kindergarten teacher...and she was the girl child's k teacher also...we LOVE her
*she's sentimental (she still has the girl child's gift up in her class room that she gave her 5 years ago!)
*she likes jewelery
*she's a grandma...
okay random stuff but I wrote her a nice little note about how much she has meant to our family and thanking her for 
blog warning, this is sappy and may make some like my husband gag!
 'giving our children roots so they can soar'
and then made her a necklace with a branch and birds
(get it...roots and soaring...)....

don't ya just love the stain on my shirt while modeling the necklace...classy!

and then I also gave her a sugar cookie kit from Trader Joe's (on sale TODAY for $0.99) so she can do it with her grandkids over Christmas break!

teacher 2...girl child's teacher
she was the hard one...she wears NO jewelery (not even a wedding ring and she's married)...
*she's pretty 'earthy/granola/crunchy' if you know what I mean...she's always taking to the kids about the environment and being healthy ...
*the class just finishing up a unit on the ocean (the just finished reading Island of the Blue Dolphins)
*she's a coffee drinker
so I went to good ol' Trader Joe's and bought her some 'organic free trade' coffee, a box of sea cookies (in the shape of fish and star fish and stuff) and some dried seaweed (she's quirky and will totally love that)...and 'wrapped' it all in a reusable Trader Joe's bag...

so, both totally unique gifts that I know they will both enjoy and it didn't cost me $$$ both gifts were under $10....and they had no idea that I threw the gifts together this morning!

No comments: