Tuesday, May 3, 2011

a Scone-ful week

So I had this idea last week that I'd do a few English sounding recipes because of the royal wedding and all...
and then I did none of them...because I won't post a recipe that I haven't actually made so since I never got around to making any of them I couldn't post them...
and by English recipes I mean scones...
and scones and a few more scones...

all that blabbering to say, that I finally got around to making these yummy scones yesterday for breakfast
and it's actually my own recipes because I totally tweaked the recipe I was following so much that it's nothing like the original!

oh, and if you've never made scones before, please do...
they are so easy to make and so worth it!
think sweet biscuit...
and if you've never made biscuits SHAME ON YOU!

nothing like a nice warm scone right out of the oven with your cup-o-Joe...
and I'm always amazing at how many scones my kids devour daintily eat for breakfast!
and hey, whole wheat, fruit (dried cranberries are a fruit right), dairy (yogurt)...that's a well rounded breakfast!


Cherry Vanilla Scones
1 cup dried cherries 
     or my cheater cheap version 
     1 cup cherry flavored dried cranberries
2 teaspoons vanilla*
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour 
     (or go with 2 cups of whatever you have,
      I like to have some wheat so it seems healthier)
3 Tbl brown sugar (or raw, if your going the healthy route)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon orange or lemon lest
1 beaten egg yolk
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 tea vanilla
1 recipe Vanilla Glaze, recipe follows
     (optional, I didn't make so you don't see it in the picture)

Place dried cherries (or cranberries) into small bowl, pour 2 teaspoons vanilla over the top and then pour enough boiling water over them to cover.  Let stand for 5 minutes and then drain well.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Toss in orange zest and drained cherries/cranberries; until coated. 

In a small bowl combine egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla.  Add mixture all at once to flour mixture, using a fork stir until combined.  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface   Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10-12 strokes.  Pat into a 1 inch circle and either cut into 12 wedges or cut circles using a biscuit cutter.

Place scones onto an ungreased baking sheet, bake in a 400 oven for 7-9 minutes.

Vanilla Glaze
mix together 3/4 cup powder sugar and 1 tbl vanilla until you have  a drizzling consistency.

*Vanilla Tip...not sure if I've ever shared my tip for cheap good vanilla.  Buy it from a Mexican Grocery...I buy my big bottle for $8...Yep $8 for 33.7 oz of Really Mexican vanilla or $4 for 8 oz of imitation Safeway vanilla???
this little shopping secret allows me to use lots more vanilla which, in my opinion, is the key ingredient in many baking recipes!
don't have any idea where a Mexican Grocery is...either google it or look it up in the old fashion yellow pages, or talk to someone at your favorite Mexican restaurant...the Mexican store I go to is in the small shopping center as one of our favorite Mexican restaurants!

No comments: