Friday, September 14, 2012

celebrate life

so...I've debated over writing this blog...
this is actually the third time I've sat down to write it.

I blog about things that happen in my life...
I blog about things that I do,
things that my kids do...
recipes, crafts & gardening,
God moments
parenting & marriage things
exercise stuff...
you get it...
this isn't a recipe blog,
or a craft blog
or a family blog
this is MY blog and I write about things that are effecting or have effected my life...
the good the bad and the UGLY...

Something happened in my life last week that will change me forever...
but I was feeling like it wasn't 'my event' to blog about...
but because I know the family and I know they need support,
they crave your prayers
and they want more than anything memories...
I've decided to write this post for them
this is for Erik,
this is for his mommy, his daddy, and his big brother!

Last Friday I sat at this computer...living my life....
this Friday... this moment... feels very similar to last week.
I was sitting at this computer typing up a blog...
a simple, silly blog with recipe links for my weeks menu...
at the same time Beau was sitting at the piano
he was trying to figure out a song...
a song by Survivor...
"The Search is Over"
....it's a great 80's love ballad...but today I'm hearing it different...

This morning as I sit and listen to him play the very same song that he was playing last week I couldn't help but realize how very different this Friday is from last Friday...

last Friday a friend of mine was also just living...
her Friday was going to be a little different...
she was going to have a shorter day at work, she was going to pick her baby up early that day
her weekend was going to start earlier than normal...
little did that mother of a sweet baby boy realize that her life was going to be forever changed after that Friday.
she kissed her son good bye...
not knowing that she would be kissing him for the last time.

Life can change direction in an instant!
We go along living our lives,
making menu's
playing piano's
going to school
going to work
kissing babies...
laying babies down for naps...
....
and then a sweet baby boy never wakes up from his nap and our lives are forever changed!
Beau and I 'walked' through a tragedy with some friends last Friday that we never wanted to walk thru.
I'm glad we were there for them, I'm glad God has placed us together in this ministry so together we can walk thru all manner of things together...
I also hate that we were there.
I hate that I know them.
I hate that I watched a friend, a mother, a wife process thru the worst day of her life!
I hate that I watched her husband process thru the pain of his baby boy never growing up.


Last Friday a sweet 4 1/2 month old baby boy passed away of SIDS.

I have no idea the pain that this family is going through.
Today...this Friday is so different than last Friday...
just a week ago I sat here making a menu...
today I'm getting ready to make a pot-luck dish to take a Celebration of Life.
A life that was way too short!

I ask that today you pray for our friends.  Lift them up every time you think about it.
They need to feel God's love surrounding them.  They need His comfort and His peace.


I may have questions...
you may have questions...
I don't have any answers but...

one thing I know if my heart of hearts...
This was NOT God's plan!
God created LIFE.
God's plan is to give us Life everlasting!
God never once planned for babies to die!
God created a perfect world.
Because of man we now live in a fallen, broken world and horrible things happen in this fallen broken world.
Death is one of those things.
God didn't plan for pain, God doesn't want His people to hurt.
Yes, God will take this horrible thing and use it in the life of Erik's family.  He will take their pain and help them grow, but he didn't make Erik die so that they could grow closer to him.  He didn't make Erik die so they could learn something...  That is sick!
Our God is a loving, kind, and gentle father.
He knows what it's like to have a son die!  He would never 'do' that to someone.
He will walk with Erik's parents during this time, He will comfort them, He will guide them...
He will help them...
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I don't have any answers but I do know that God's plans are not to harm....I also know that He is the only one that can heal a parent's heart after something like this.
Pray for the Erik's family today.
Pray for his mom, dad and older brother.
Every time you see a little baby boy filled with life, send a prayer for the Bird family.
Every time you see a child with sparkling blue eyes, send a prayer up for the Bird family.
Every time you see a blond haired boy living life, say a prayer for Erik's family.

And because I want to help Celebrate Erik's life...I end with a memory.
I had the privileged of taking Erik to his first movie!
We saw "The Pirates!  Band of Misfits" for those that were wondering.
Yes, I took a baby to a movie...
During the summer, Monday's were our 'movie' days.
I happened to watch Erik and his older brother on one such Monday, and rather than change our plans we decided to take Erik to his first movie.
So, while the older kids sat up front eating spilling candy I stood in the back of the theater and rocked Erik, who slept thru his first movie.
Madison, my baby whisper'er, just loved that day, she was able to hold Erik and  play with him!
He was filled lots of cuddles & sweet, sweet smiles from one of the happiest babies ever!

Erik, you are loved, and you are missed.
And today I will hug your mommy for you!

2 comments:

Christy Luis - Dostoevsky in Space said...

Hi Kiera,
I know you probably don't know who I am, but I go to your mother-in-law's bible study. She passed along your prayer request for this family.
I cry every time I think about it. It's horrible and hard and we're praying.
Thank you taking the time to write this post! It's important.
God Bless,
-Christy Luis

Lee said...

Being such a small community,I've talked with several friends about this for the past couple of days. We've been stunned how this could happen to a young family. It wasn't until today that I heard who the family was and it hit even closer to home. Please let them know that we're praying for them and mourning with them.